© Copyright Reserved
An overview of the NTCE
The National Tourism Careers Expo (NTCE) is fast becoming an electrifying trademark event in the tourism industry. Presented by three partners which include the National Department of Tourism (NDT), Economic, Small Business Development, Tourism and Environmental Affairs (DESTEA – Free State), and the Culture, Arts, Tourism, Hospitality and Sport Sector Education and Training Authority (CATHSSETA).
Addressing the skills development challenge and promoting growth in the tourism sector, the NTCE is now its seventh year.
Although tourism in South Africa is one of the fastest growing sectors, this sector also faces a number of challenges when it comes to skills and young people entering the sector after school or tertiary education.
These challenges include:
• Lack of industry knowledge and respect
• Poor perception of the industry – few benefits, only menial jobs
• Less attention as a subject in schools and tertiary institutions
• Lack of facilities in teaching tourism
• Teachers are not trained to teach tourism effectively
• It is an undesignated subject in high school
FACT: 70% of school leavers intend to study further with only 9% considering tourism as an option.
The NTCE aims to address these challenges by:
• Profiling tourism as a desired career of choice to prospective learners
• Identifying and communicating employment opportunities in the tourism sector for unemployed youth
• Highlighting the available tourism professions within South Africa
• Providing a platform for interactive information sharing on available tourism education and training opportunities
• Providing a platform for interactive opportunities between the learners and the prospective employers.
4 - 5